Remarkably natural matte finishes
Matting agents for wood coatings
To achieve the desired look and warm feel of natural wood, formulators are driving to
lower matting levels in their finishes. SYLOID® matting agents are recommended in order to help achieve low gloss levels while maintaining good film performance.
Solvent based wood coatings systems
- SYLOID® ED silica series (ED 30, ED 40, ED 50): Special organic treatment for excellent smoothness and efficiency.
- SYLOID® C silica series (C 906, C 907, C 1007): High pore volume and special organic treatment for highly efficient performance.
Waterborne coatings systems
- SYLOID® 7000 silica: Special organic treatment for excellent smoothness and efficiency.
- SYLOID® W silica series (W 300, W 500, W 900): Water in pores for easier dispersion and less dusting. Excellent smoothness and efficiency.
UV or hybrid UV/water coatings systems
- SYLOID® RAD silica series (RAD 2005, RAD 2105, RAD 3007): Special organic treatments to achieve dead mattes (<10GU) with easier dispersion, less dusting, lower viscosity, and better film clarity.
New for waterborne coatings
- SYLOID® AQ silica series (AQ 800, AQ 880): An evolution in silica coatings additives with patent-pending technology specifically engineered to achieve low gloss finishes in waterborne coatings systems. SYLOID® AQ silicas impart high chemical resistance, excellent clarity, and good scratch and burnishing resistance to wood coatings that produce natural-looking, deep matte finishes on fine wood furniture, cabinets, and floors. These two AQ silicas can be used alone or in combination to dial in the desired performance of your wood coating.
Matting agents for coil and general industrial coatings
Get smooth, matte finishes for your roofing, ceiling, siding, and appliance applications with SYLOID® coil and general industrial matting agents.
Coil and general industrial
- NEW SYLOID® CAT 11 silica: An untreated silica matting agent that retains adequate catalyst activity and matte cure response, ending the matting compromise renown in coil and general industrial applications. Excellent cure response – even at low gloss levels – can be achieved while providing superior matting efficiency compared to non-silica matting additives. Offers easy processing, very good dispersibility, and excellent UV resistance.
- SYLOID® MX silica series: With or without a special organic treatment, SYLOID® MX silica has excellent matting efficiency. MX series comes in a variety of particle sizes for desired smoothness.
- SYLOID® C silica series: High pore volume, untreated, excellent matting efficiency for low gloss systems, excellent dispersibility, good over-grind protection, and good surface appearance.
- SYLOID® 621 and 622 silica: Large particle size, medium pore volume, untreated, excellent matting efficiency for thick film systems. Can also be used in anti-skid applications, powder and radiation cure systems.
- SYLOID® ED silica series: With or without special organic treatment, excellent matting efficiency. They come in a variety of particle sizes for desired smoothness. Excellent matting performance in general industrial applications like construction machinery, agriculture, and appliances.
Matting agents for architectural coatings
Meeting the highly technical challenges of matting architectural coatings with very low gloss and sheen values can be achieved by using SYLOID® architectural silicas in your formulation.
All architectural coatings systems
- SYLOID® A silica series: Free-flowing powder with no organic treatment.
- Excellent matting efficiency, superior stain resistance, burnishing, dirt pick-up, and smoothness. Some products contain water that is not suitable for solvent-based systems, please refer to the product data sheet for more information.
- SYLOID® 621 and 622 silica: Large particle size, medium pore volume with no organic treatment. Excellent matting efficiency and dispersibility. Good over-grind protection. Can also be formulated to be used in anti-skid applications, if desired.
Waterborne coatings systems
- SYLOID® W silica series (W 300, W 500, W 900): Water in pores for easier dispersion and less dusting. Excellent matting, smoothness, and efficiency. Three particle sizes to choose from (300<500<900).
SYLOID® silicas are safe and easy to use in architectural coatings formulations. They do not contain crystalline silica, which is a major health concern in the industry.